Thursday, June 22, 2006

Summer Plans

The song "leaving on a jet plane" seems fitting for this point in time. Well, maybe all of my bags are not packed, but they will be soon. One of the most challenging components to any missions trip comes before one even leaves the country -yes, I mean packing! It will be quite the event to fit three months worth of life supplies into a bag or two, not to mention a stockhold of Canadian stickers, pencils, paper, balls, pens, key chains, and whistles to share with the children at the orphanage.

I will be departing for Kolkata (Calcutta) India in just a few days. There I will be working with Calcutta Mercy Ministries. This organization was started by Canadian missionaries named Mark and Hulda Buntain. Their work grew to include a hospital, numerous village clinics, an orphanage, a church and several church plants. Hulda and her daughter Bonnie, along with her husband Dr. Jim Long, have continued the work in Kolkata.

Words cannot express how excited and grateful I am for this opportunity. I will be returning to Canada during mid-October and will begin my missions apprenticeship with the B.C. / Yukon District of the P.A.O.C. three days after my return to Canada - here's hoping for a quick time adaption!

Please remember me in your times of prayer. Pray for safety and health. Pray that I would listen to God because I know He has a plan for my time there and pray that He would give me the strength and the resolution to do those things He asks with a willing attitude. It is my prayer that God uses me in some way to impact the lives of those I meet, but I have no doubt that I too will be challenged and changed.

No comments: