Monday, August 20, 2007

HUMOUR: Never What You Expect it to Be

Recently, while out with some friends celebrating a birthday, I came to the realization that I really like laughing. For those who have spent any amount of time with me, the realization that I laugh at myself (or the things I do or do not do) is soon to follow. I believe the saying goes, “he who learns to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused”. I’m set for life.

So I decided to write about how life is laced with humour. And so the comedy begins…

Along with our recent nuptials we decided to try and balance having two cars as our schedules have formally staged a revolt against coordinating. This decision was followed by the catalytic converter in one car falling apart (literally) leaving our little “Snow ball” in bad shape. With that fixed (with some unexpected help from friends) we moved forward, only to have our better car totalled while we were away on our honeymoon.

After some insurance dealings, we introduced the world to “Aunty Pearl” – and we must say rosy, warm feelings percolated in our hearts as we basked in the glow of transportation stability; until this past Saturday when a car braked suddenly and I had to swerve to avoid a painful introduction to the driver in front of me. Upon hitting the curb, the smell of burning rubber filled the air and I noticed that I was leaning to the right. The car that had so quickly stopped was gone, and I was left on the side of the road with two flat tires on the passenger side.

Fortunately we had gotten CAA memberships four days earlier. I could have hugged the driver, were it not for his burly demeanour, and the fact that I recognized him from the last time I locked my keys in my car and required help… Alas, Aunty Pearl was whisked off to Langley where she is currently under the knife.

This is the point where I wish the story ended. At 6:48am PST this morning, I was driving down the highway and having a little conversation with God expressing my frustration with cars and finances, especially in light of our “just married” status. For some reason I felt as though listening to the song “Great is Thy Faithfulness” would be soothing. I had come to my exit and slowed to merge into traffic at the end of the off ramp and was feeling revitalized as the words “all I have needed thy hand hath provided” danced out of my speakers – BANG. Enter Mr.J.M. of Vancouver who had made his presence known by acquainting his mini-van with Snowball’s back bumper. I was not even mad. I simply pulled over, looked up and said to God “we are so going to talk about this later, but right now I have to go exchange insurance information”.

Funny, isn’t it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I have needed Your hand hath provided....
God is just building 'trust' for the days ahead. Slovakia will be here before you know.
Glad you are safe, as for the crippled cars... the bill of health has not yet been written. So glad - Great is thy faithfulness. Love U.